Do you love art? Are you looking for a rewarding experience to volunteer directly with community members? If so, we welcome you to volunteer at the Corktown Community Paint-in event powered by OPIRG McMaster, on Saturday, June 25th!
- Volunteer Orientation: Saturday, June 18th, 2022 from 6 to 7 PM
- Event Date: Saturday, June 25, 2022 Various times
- Click this link to go to the event volunteer form
The Corktown Community Paint-in invites residents of Corktown, Hamilton and surrounding areas to paint under the sun and connect with fellow neighbours at Corktown Park. This one-time event on Saturday, June 25 will feature an art tutorial from a local artist where participants will paint a self-portrait conveying what they love about the Corktown community. Through art, attendees can engage meaningfully without the social pressure to speak English or be articulate. Food and beverages, locally sourced from downtown Hamilton businesses, will be served to attendees.
The art created during the event will be installed to transform an industrial-looking fence at Corktown Park. The once dreary fence will become almost like a welcome mat, representing the diversity of Corktown and its residents. The project is meant to inspire collective ownership over the space and foster community building between the diverse groups within the neighbourhood.
We are calling for 15 to 20 passionate and energetic volunteers who are interested in helping to execute this event. We are looking for volunteers to execute the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Event set up: setting up of blankets, tents and art stations (10 AM – 1 PM)
- Food and Beverages: serving of goods, plates and cutlery (2 PM – 5 PM)
- Event support: directing participants to art stations, answering questions, site upkeep, and other tasks that arise (1 PM to 5 PM)
- Event take down: trash clean up, canvases collection and tent/supplies/blanket collection (5 PM to 6:30 PM)
Volunteers must attend a virtual mandatory orientation session on Saturday, June 18th, 2022 from 6 to 7 PM. If you are interested, please fill out the Google form by June 15th, 2022.
Volunteers will have their volunteer hours officiated. A reference letter can also be provided upon request!
Leave A Comment