The Ontario Public Interest Research Group – University of Ottawa (OPIRG) is seeking a one year contract, part-time (20 hours/week) Campus Relations Coordinator to begin May 3rd, 2010 and end April 8th, 2011. OPIRG is a bilingual, student-funded and student directed volunteer organization dedicated to research, education and advocacy in the areas of social justice, the environment and health.
– Maintaining good working relationships with the SFUO (undergrad student association), GSAÉD (graduate student association), groups, administration, professors and media (i.e. Fulcrum, La Rotonde, CHUO, etc.) on campus.
– Keeping up and improving our visibility on campus through the administration, the staff and the students (i.e. keeping all sectors of the university up to date on who we are and what we do)
– Collaborating with other organizations and services on campus to plan events and campaigns, based on OPIRG priorities
– Coordinating communications with students through website updating and biweekly email newsletters.
– General administrative and office duties
– Sharing in the preparations for the Annual General Meeting
– Attending occasional Board Meetings and assisting the Board as necessary.
The Campus Relations Coordinator will be responsible for organizing three major projects
– Alternative 101 Week: Organize progressive and dry activities to welcome new students to the University of Ottawa
– OPIRG research grants: Help develop and coordinate the research grants at OPIRG by gathering application and acting as liaison for the selection committee.
– Coordinating OPIRG workshops that are offered to students and to the community
– There is an expectation that the coordinator be available at the end of August and beginning of September to coordinate Alternative 101 Week. The Coordinator is also expected to work additional hours during the coordination of that event.
– MUST be fluently bilingual (French and English writing and oral comprehension)
– Keen ability to network, plan events & campaigns, create promotional material.
– Ability to work under stressful conditions, multi-task and meet deadlines.
– Knowledge of, and experience with social and environmental justice issues and non-profit organizations.
– Exemplary organizational, administrative and time management skills; strong inter-personal and communications skills.
– Proven ability to be highly motivated, self-directed, flexible and adapt quickly to new and challenging situations.
– Familiarity with social justice issues and experience with anti-oppression framework.
– Efficiency with computer applications, ability to maintain a basic website.
– Knowledge of University of Ottawa campus and local NGOs, social and environmental organizations and community organizations.
– Progressive unionized work environment and salary
– Dental and health plan
OPIRG welcomes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization, and invites aboriginal people, people of colour, women, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, queer-oriented people, single parents, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants and people with disabilities to apply.
We encourage applicants to describe the contributions and experiences they as individuals who identify with marginalized communities, would bring to the OPIRG organization in their cover letter.
All applicants are asked for a brief statement on their views of power and oppression.
Applicants who wish to be considered for employment equity may mention this in their cover letter.
Each applicant is responsible for making sure the hiring committee has received his/her resume, his/her cover letter and his/her statement of power and oppression.
Your application needs to include:
1. Cover Letter
3. Statement on Power and Oppression
We regret that the OPIRG office is not currently wheelchair accessible.
DEADLINE for applications: Thursday, April 15th, 2010 at 5:00pm.
Only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
Hiring Committee – OPIRG Ottawa
631 King Edward Ave., 3rd Floor
Ottawa ON K1N 7N8
Fax: (613) 230-4830
Or e-mail to: email@example.com
Organisational Development and Financial Coordinator/ Coordinatrice des finances et du développement organisationnel
613-230-3076 ext 1
Leave A Comment