Job Title: Summer Events Assistant
(Special Events Assistant)
Full-time, casual contract, 12weeks, 30 hours per week
Start date: Week of May 24, 2011
Total pages in posting: 2
Date Posted: April 25, 2011
Application Deadline: May 9, 2011
What is OPIRG? OPIRG-Guelph (Ontario Public Interest Research Group) is a student-funded non-profit organization which is committed to facilitating the active participation of volunteers in addressing critical social and environmental issues of public interest.
Employment Equity Statement: OPIRG welcomes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization, and invites aboriginal people, people of colour, women, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, queer-oriented people, transgendered people, transsexual people, intersexed people, working class people, single parents, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants and people with disabilities to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the contributions and experiences they, as individuals, who identify with marginalized communities, would bring to the OPIRG organization in their cover letter. The OPIRG office is wheel-chair accessible.
Clean Up and Walking Tours (Special Events) Assistant Responsibilities:
The Special Events Assistant will perform lead roles in organizing the Annual Speed River Clean Up which takes place on June 4h, 2011 and in the marketing and delivery of the Speed River Ecological and Heritage Walking Tours in July and August 2011.
Specifically they will need to:
• Become familiar with OPIRG’s mandate, structure and policies as they relate to the position and participate in training.
• Become familiar with the Speed River Clean Up and Ecological and Heritage Walking Tour planning documents and background information.
• Keep an organized workspace, including organized physical and digital files.
• Assist in logistical aspects of the events including, pre and post event inventory, promotion/marketing, equipment rental, set-up and take-down, etc.
• Following events ensure the organization and storage of equipment and files.
• Prepare reports on the data and evaluation forms collected at the events.
• For the Walking Tours work with staff to develop and implement a marketing strategy and a recruitment and training plan for tour guides.
• Organize a schedule for tour guides and an appreciation event.
• Work with Walking Tour volunteers and OPIRG staff to develop text for second walking tour and carry out test tour.
• Prepare a final report to be submitted to the Board of Directors which includes a summary of activities and reflections on accomplishments and challenges.
-Excellent oral communication skills and high level of comfort speaking publicly to large groups.
-Strong written communication skills.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL SKILLS
-Demonstrated ability to work independently
-Significant use of memory
-Working with others
-Job task planning and organizing
-Computer use – word processing, email, spreadsheets
-Demonstrated interest in social justice, anti-oppression (racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.) and environmental issues
-Moderate to heavy lifting (As an equitable employer we will strive to meet any accommodation requirements)
-Travel to various locations in Guelph
-Experience planning events
-Experience working as a volunteer or staff person in a similar type of non-profit organization.
-Experience with promoting events
-Experience with public speaking
-Education in a relevant field
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: OPIRG has applied for a Canada Summer Jobs grant to cover some of the costs of the walking tour part of this position. A requirement of the funding is that the applicants all meet the following criteria:
-Are between 15 and 30 years of age;
-Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
-Are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
-Are legally entitled to work in Canada, according to relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Job Specifics: Full-time, Casual Contract for 12 weeks, with one week off in June(12th to 19th).
Start date: May 24, 2011 Wages: $13.00/hour for 30 hours/week
Application Deadline: MAY 9, 2011
Application Process: Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter, written answer and three references (with phone numbers) to OPIRG-Guelph. Applications may be submitted by fax, email or in person only. (Only RTF and PDF files will be accepted).
Please include an answer to the following question (250 words maximum).
1. Please describe a time when you were unprepared for a presentation or public speaking event. Then tell us about another presentation or speaking event where you were well prepared and how that preparation made a difference?
Please send applications to the: OPIRG Summer Events Assistant Hiring Committee
c/o OPIRG – Guelph
Address: 1 Trent Lane, University of Guelph, Guelph ON N1G 2W1
Fax: (519)824-8990 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Office hours: Mon-Thurs 11am-5pm
No phone calls please. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Leave A Comment