The McMaster Community Poverty Initiative is looking for
5 Students from OPIRG
To take the Do the Math Challenge!
Can you live on a Food Bank hamper for a week?
October 18 – 25, 2013
What is this about?
Do the Math: Social Assistance rates don’t add up. It is nearly impossible to find a place to live, have enough to eat, and have anything left over if you are on social assistance.
Raising awareness of poverty and hunger, particularly the low rates of social assistance, in Hamilton and Ontario.
What Will You Be Asked To Do?
- Eat only the contents of the food bank sample bag for one week from October 18 through October 25.
- Take part in the Do the Math Week Activities, including:
- Pick up your food on Friday October 18 at the Chaplaincy Office, MUSC 231
- Daily reflection blogs based on questions the MCPI will provide
- Attend a tour of a local food bank on Saturday, October 19
- Attend a Reflection Session on Monday, October 28, at 1:30 p.m. with all the other students from across campus who are Doing the Math (unless this conflicts with your courses).
- Talk to friends, colleagues, and family and explain what you are doing and why.
How Can You Sign Up?
Send an email to Jeff Wingard at the McMaster Community Poverty Initiative address: email@example.com that says “I want to Do the Math” and gives us your contact information.
Space is limited, so we will include the first five registrants from each faculty.
What Will You Receive?
- A Student Activism Award from the McMaster Community Poverty Initiative upon completion of the challenge.
- Increased awareness of the circumstances facing citizens living in poverty.
- An opportunity to build relationships in the greater Hamilton community and be part of the ongoing advocacy of the McMaster Community Poverty Initiative.
Come join us and be part of the positive change!
Email Jeff Wingard or Colin Tan at firstname.lastname@example.org to join us!
Leave A Comment