WHAT IS A WORKING GROUP?
Working groups are semi-autonomous groups of students and community members who organize around specific issues relating to the environment and social change. OPIRG engages students interested in critiquing, researching and acting on pressing social/environmental issues.
Working Groups receive funding from the OPIRG office, as well as ongoing support and training.
Working Groups use a CONSENSUS DECISION MAKING model to ensure equal access to power within groups, and are expected to take an ANTI-OPPRESSION workshop, offered for free each term.
EXAMPLES OF OPIRG MCMASTER WORKING GROUPS
- For the current list of working groups, view the sidebar menu under Working Groups at opirg.ca and click on the group name to view a detailed description and contact information.
- Previous and ongoing working groups include Transportation for Liveable Communities, Freeskool, Recycle Cycles, Food Not Bombs, Guatemala, Community Volunteer Action, Fair Trade, and many others.
START A WORKING GROUP!
OPIRG accepts applications for Working Groups in the fall and again at the start of the winter term. Applications are reviewed by our Board of Directors who meet with applicants to ask questions about the proposal before deciding which groups will be accepted.
- Start by reading the OPIRG McMaster WORKING GROUP POLICY (Read it here)
- Fill our our online application here. (Please read the working group policy before applying.)
- You will meet with our Board of Directors for an interview, after which the Board will approve or deny your proposed group
- 1st term application deadline – Monday, September 27, 2010. Fill out the online application
- 2nd term application deadline – January 2011 – application form here
- ANTI-OPPRESSION WORKSHOP: Saturday, September 25, 2010, in Togo Salmon Hall room 719, 10am to 12pm. Free, but please pre-registration required with randy(dot)opirg(at)gmail(dot)com or 905-525-9140 ext. 26026
- CONSENSUS DECISION MAKING WORKSHOP, Saturday, September 25, 2010, in Togo Salmon Hall room 719, 1pm to 3pm Free, but please pre-registration required with randy(dot)opirg(at)gmail(dot)com or 905-525-9140 ext. 26026
- WORKING GROUP ORIENTATION (for approved groups) Sunday October 17 – Working Group Orientation 11:30am room MUSC 230
To find out more, please contact the OPIRG office in the Student Centre room 229, randy(at)opirg(dot)ca or call 905-525-9140 ext. 26026.